Thursday, April 19, 2018

Why We Need the Arts

My column from March 4, 2017.


I love the arts.
Theatre, music, and art enrich our lives.
It can help connect us.
A play, concert or recital requires both artists and an audience.
Artwork can lift spirits, tell a story, offer inspiration and share a message.
Studies suggest that an education in the arts helps students learn critical thinking skills, improves their social skills, helps them learn from mistakes, be creative and even makes them more proficient at reading, writing and math.
In the last week, my job gave me the opportunity to share the work of student artists. Waupun Area High School students created ceramic art in an effort to raise awareness and funds to fight hunger for the Empty Bowls Project.
Art teacher Sarah Dobbratz allowed me to visit her classroom so I could interview her and take photographs. I watched students “throw” clay on the pottery wheel and view many of the pieces Art Club members created for the fundraiser.
The Beaver Dam Area Arts Association is hosting its annual Area High School Arts Exhibit. Executive Director Jessalyn Braun invited me to the Seippel Homestead and Center for the Arts after judges evaluated the submissions from seven schools.
While my skill set does not include artistic ability – I can “paint” with words, but not a brush – I do recognize and appreciate work created by others.
The ceramics projects created for the Empty Bowls Project fundraiser offered pieces that went beyond a basic bowl and some gorgeous color combinations. I hope those who attended the dinner appreciated the time and creativity shown by the Art Club members.
The high school art show includes a wide variety of art. The exhibit revealed a tremendous amount of local talent. Some pieces made me think. Several made me smile.
The exhibit will be open through March 31, and I recommend taking the time to visit it.

No comments: