Thursday, April 19, 2018

I Must Remember This

My column from January 21, 2017.


Why did I walk into this room?
When this question pops into my head, I often have to backtrack and scan the area I just left until my brain kicks the reason back out for me.
Short term memory issues could be because of my age, a side effect of medications I take, caused by depression or perhaps all of the above with a side dose of my occasional tendency to be a ditz.
I too often find myself easily distracted, and compare it to a dog that behaves until…SQUIRREL!
Or perhaps a toddler entranced by something that glows, shines or sparkles. I focus best while reading, which may be why I love books as much as I do.
I tried playing games designed to help improve one’s brain, until studies revealed those games were not much use in preventing memory loss. Which is just as well, as I’d rather play Tetris, Freecell, Angry Birds or Plants Vs. Zombies.
There are steps we can take to help us remember. When introduced to someone we can listen carefully and repeat the name, then picture an image that reminds you of the name and link that to an aspect of the person’s appearance.
Establishing routines helps too. While in the frenzy of moving, I began wearing my car and house keys on a lanyard around my neck so I would not lose track of them. Now my keys go into a bowl by my front door as soon as I arrive home.
Mneomonic devices are useful for helping us to remember. An acrostics, acronyms, rhymes and alliteration help, which is why music students learn “Every good boy does fine” to memorize the treble clef, HOMES can help us remember the names of the Great Lakes and “Thirty days hath September” keeps tabs on which months of the year have different amounts of days.
Eating more “brain” foods filled with vitamins and antioxidants, including blueberries, dark chocolate, broccoli, cauliflower and turmeric may help. Omega-3 fatty acids are particularly beneficial for brain health. Since I don’t like canned tuna, herring or sardines, I eat walnuts, flaxseed, winter squash, pumpkin seeds, soybeans and spinach or take a supplement instead.
Getting more sleep helps, as fatigue plays a large role in memory issues. Exercise helps, too. One of the best ways to strengthen the brain is to keep learning and developing new skills. Maybe I should give knitting or crocheting another chance.
Making time for friends, laughter and reducing stress also help with memory issues.
My family history includes dementia or Alzheimer’s disease on both sides of my family tree, something that concerns me more as I am just a few years away from being considered “middle-aged.” My brain still holds on to details most may consider trivial (you want to pick me for your trivia team), but it also tends to remember faces far better than it holds on to names. If interrupted while working on a multi-step task, I may skip one of the steps.
Our memories help determine who we are, which is why it’s so hard when memory-related issues take loved ones away from us. I’ll never forget the day my grandfather asked me who I was. Even worse was the time he did not remember my mother, his daughter.
One of the best things about being a writer is that it helps capture who I am and what I care about, in case the day comes when my brain fails to remind me.

No comments: