Thursday, April 19, 2018

What Accent Do You Have?

My column from February 25, 2017.


Do you ever hear someone speaking with an accent and catch yourself mimicking them?
Unless you do it intentionally, it may be what psychologists call the “chameleon effect.”
It’s a natural tendency to copy another’s speech inflections or even physical expressions (mirroring their body language, for example) in a subconscious effort to make them like us better. Our brains give us the urge to empathize and affiliate with others.
In high school, I called a friend and reached his mother. Originally from the South, she had a slow and soft drawl. While leaving a message for my friend, I noticed that I was speaking with her accent. She graciously did not call me out on it, but it left me stricken with embarrassment and worried that she thought I was mocking her.
I still catch myself picking up accents. While watching a movie from the Harry Potter series, my son told me knock off the English accent I started using.
While growing up in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, in the years before cable TV arrived, I did not understand that I had an accent – a Yooper accent.
It was not until my family moved to Western Colorado while I was in fourth grade that I discovered I sounded different. Younger students would come up to me on the playground, ask me to say mountain lion, and then run away laughing when I did. I now wish I had a recording of how I said it, so I could try to understand what was so funny about my pronunciation.
My accent softened after many years of living in Colorado. While there, I picked up “y’all” from school friends from Texas. The accent came back after we returned to the U.P., and gets thick again after I spend any length of time up north.
My alma mater once had a professor studying linguistics, with an interest in capturing what makes the Yooper accent unique. I now wish I’d taken a few more of her classes. My understanding of linguistics is limited to the difference between an accent and dialect.
An accent is the sounds (pronunciation), while dialect includes vocabulary and grammar. A Yooper’s tendency to use a “D” sound instead of “th” can be traced to the influence of Finnish immigrants.
I still pepper my sentences with “eh” and the occasional “youse.” My vocabulary includes pank, swampers, snow scoop, choppers and bug dope. I confess to cringing when I overhear someone mispronounce “sauna.”
Some people have asked if I am from Canada. I find it a puzzling generalization, as Canada has its own dialects and two official languages- English and French.
There are several quizzes online that attempt to identify your dialect by asking what words you use or how you pronounce words.
Wikipedia offers a map of the different dialect regions in the United States, and links to explain what makes those dialects unique.
Learning that my home state of Michigan now offers a pronunciation guide made me smile, and the news release announcing it came out shortly after a friend on Facebook shared a list of words Michiganders pronounce “wrong.”
There is an unofficial guide for Wisconsin at http://misspronouncer.com/. The website offers pronunciations for Wisconsin cities, counties, state parks and more. Listening to it reminded me of a video shared during the Green Bay Packers’ last Super Bowl appearance, with people from Dallas attempting to say Wisconsin city names.

No comments: