Thursday, April 19, 2018

Learning for a Lifetime


My column for March 25, 2017.


My job allows me to visit schools, which I find delightful. It allows me to share stories about students and teachers, which I consider a privilege.
In the last eight days, I visited two schools – Randolph Elementary Middle School and Rock River Intermediate School in Waupun.
Holly Swanson, the physical education teacher at REMS, sent me an invitation to the school’s annual Jump Rope for Heart assembly. It is an event I look forward to and I have found it both uplifting and heartbreaking. The event often includes students sharing their rope jumping skills. This year’s assembly included two girls who cartwheeled in unison to start tandem jumping.
I brought my son along when I covered the 25th anniversary assembly for Jump Rope for Heart, held in the evening at Randolph High School. It included a performance by the Pink Panthers, a team of REMS students who pulled off some amazing rope jumping stunts.
 wanson does an amazing job coordinating the fundraiser and the assembly, finding ways to motivate her students while teaching lessons about the importance of fitness for health and community service. She is quick to share credit for the success of the Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser with her co-workers and the generous hearts of the community.
Next year, REMS is on track to jump past raising a quarter of a million dollars for the American Heart Association, an incredible achievement in 36 years for a small school district.
Sue Krause, who teaches fourth grade at Rock River, sent me an invitation in February to attend the annual wax museum held on Monday, and thoughtfully sent a reminder about the event a few days before.
I walked in to the school gym not knowing what to expect. I left with more photos than I could use, and new knowledge.
I found fourth grade students dressed up as people with a connection to Wisconsin. This included historical figures, athletes, actors, authors and more. There were several girls portraying Laura Ingalls Wilder, and a visit to Pepin remains on my travel bucket list, as I adored reading the Little House series as a child. As a horse crazy kid, I devoured the books of Marguerite Henry, but did not know she was born in Milwaukee until I visited the wax museum.
I also did not know Oprah Winfrey once lived in Milwaukee until I came across girls portraying her in the wax museum. I also did not know that Golda Meir also spent part of her childhood in Milwaukee. I learned about Vel Phillips, Kate Pelham Newcomb and Ada Deer.
I remember watching Bonnie Blair skate in the Olympics. I did not realize she lived in Wisconsin to train until meeting several Bonnie Blairs at the wax museum. The museum taught me about Carrie Chapman Catt, a native of Ripon. It shames me to admit that I lived in Ripon for three years and do not recall learning about her while there.
Students also portrayed Fred MacMurray and Gene Wilder, with very creative costumes.
One boy dressed up as Richard Bong, the World War II flying ace and Medal of Honor recipient, whose life was cut tragically short while serving as a test pilot. My maternal grandfather also served as a pilot during WWII, flying cargo planes on the Pacific front. While traveling with him from Ironwood, Mich., to the Twin Cities, we stopped in Bong’s hometown of Poplar, which has a replica of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter on display as a memorial to him.
I enjoy spending time with young people, and find their optimism and enthusiasm a balm for my soul. I once considered teaching as a career, but decided I lacked a trait necessary for a good teacher – patience. I salute teachers and aides who dedicate so much time to educate children.
Learning should be a lifetime activity, and I value opportunities that allow me to continue my education.

No comments: