Thursday, April 19, 2018

Leaving a black mark


My column from April 29, 2017.


-->
I need to get something off my chest.
The misuse of sky commas drives me batty.
Sky commas, you ask?
I’m talking about apostrophes and quotation marks.
I acknowledge that I qualify as a grammar nerd. I love to read and live to write. By no means is my own grammar, spelling, punctuation (or even pronunciation) perfect. I make mistakes and miss typos. And sometimes those who edit my work may miss something too. I appreciate readers (often my mother) who send me a message pointing out the errors. Once my mortification fades I can at least fix the online version of a story, column or Facebook post. Twitter keeps promising the option to edit a tweet, but has yet to deliver.
Ask anyone who learns English as a second (or more) language, and they’ll tell you how complicated it can be compared to other languages thanks to idioms, heteronyms (words spelled the same with different meanings and pronunciations), tense changes and more. Still, English does not even make the top 10 list of most difficult-to-learn languages such as Mandarin, Finnish, Arabic, Korean, Basque, Icelandic, Navajo, Japanese and Polish.
My grammar nerd pet peeves include using the wrong version of to, too, or two, their, there or they’re, who’s and whose, your and you’re. Also on the list are abbreviations or text message shortcuts (especially in professional correspondence or online dating profiles).Punctuation errors also make me cringe.
The double “sky” commas – quotation marks – set off word-for-word quotations, and components such as book, album, song or show titles, and even the titles of TV series episodes, article or essay titles and short story or poem titles and the names of works of art. Some use italics for this instead. When identifying a quote within a quotation, use single quotation marks.
Quotations marks can also be used to set apart technical terms or something used sarcastically. Readers may be familiar with the “air” quote marks gesture – the index and middle fingers on each hand extended and twitched—often employed ironically or to use a word or expression in a way that varies from standard usage.
While visiting a restaurant recently, I noticed a disturbing use of quotation marks on the menu. Perhaps the person who designed the menu wanted to call special attention to “fresh” or “homemade” for the food available, but seeing “Fresh” fish on a menu makes me question the veracity of the claim. Lesson learned — do not use quotation marks to show emphasis or the message sent may not be one you wished to deliver.
The apostrophe (the single sky comma ’) shows possession to a singular noun when used with an S (the cat’s toy). An apostrophe does not make a regular noun plural. “Apostrophe’s are confusing” is wrong – it should be apostrophes. Apostrophes help build contractions – with the apostrophe replacing the letter or letters removed—thus cannot becomes can’t, they are become they’re and did not becomes didn’t. If you need to form a plural of lowercase letters, you can use apostrophes. The phrase “Mind your Ps and Qs” dates back to the early days of printing presses when letters were set in presses backwards to appear on the printed page correctly. While the phrase origin remains disputed, today the phrase means “Be careful, don’t make a mistake.”
But we are human and make mistakes. If you are not sure about a word or punctuation rule, do what I try to do.
Look it up.

No comments: