Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Trying to curb an appetite

Originally published November 19, 2016

Trying to curb an appetite

I tend to eat my feelings.
I eat in celebration.
Birthdays and weddings mean cake and sometimes ice cream, pie or other treats. My sister celebrated her birthday this week, and although I could not celebrate in person with her, I opted to eat ice cream in her honor. She is two years younger than I, and I remember her birth because someone at the hospital gave me an ice cream cup with a wooden spoon. I found that far more memorable than peeking through a window at my new sister.
I also seek comfort food when feeling down—mac and cheese, warm and creamy soups, something sweet, something salty (or both.) Foods that stick to the ribs and leave you feeling sated and sleepy.
My willpower disappears around certain foods, including potato chips and French onion dip, cheese puffs, garlic bread and pints of premium ice cream. The nutrition label on ice cream pints tells us it has four servings. I consider it a win if I manage two. My solution is to rarely buy those foods, but sometimes a craving for them cannot be denied. Or I make the mistake of shopping for groceries while hungry.
I fully acknowledge my addiction to cheese and chocolate. I do best when I allow myself one serving of chocolate a day—almost always dark chocolate (antioxidants for the win!) and confess to being a chocolate snob. (There is drawer dedicated to chocolate in my refrigerator, which may qualify me as a chocoholic.)
Many of my bad eating habits started in middle school. I disliked the lunches served at school, so I would barely eat. By the time I arrived home after school or after basketball or track practice, I both ate too much and ate far too fast.
I’ve been physically active for more than three years now, and exercise at least 4 to 5 times a week. I’m stronger than I have ever been in my life, but my weight still places me in the obese category when figuring my body mass index. I know the problem is food – from portion control, not enough vegetable servings, eating on the run and too often only drinking coffee instead of a complete breakfast.
When I make the time to track my food intake, it opens my eyes to the importance of portions, finding a good balance of carbs, fat and protein and limiting my sugar and salt intake.
I quit regular soda consumption nearly four years ago, which helps, but still need to work on drinking enough water each day. I find it easier to drink water during the summer when hot weather reminds me to find ways to cool down.
While I love to cook (and really need to learn to use my baking skills for good and not evil), I need to learn to make smaller meals now that I live on my own, and need to take the time to better plan them. I am no longer the picky child who would only eat peas, corn and potatoes as my vegetable options. Roasted brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower taste amazing, but I confess to being lazy in the kitchen when it comes to veggies. If someone else does the work I’m more than happy to eat a salad.
Magazines, TV shows and the Internet inundate us with nutrition tips and advice, which can feel overwhelming. Starting small helps. Make one change until it becomes a habit, and then trying something else. Allow yourself one cheat meal a month where you don’t count calories.
I swapped out sugar in my coffee for stevia, but still require cream or milk in it. I use less butter and bacon fat while cooking in favor of healthier oils. I make salad dressing from scratch so I know what I am eating.
What works for you?


No comments: