Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Strive to celebrate differences


Originally published November 11, 2016

Strive to celebrate differences

Why do people fear and reject differences? In a time when we are so connected through the internet, how do we justify holding on to biases, stereotypes and prejudices?
For many years, I admit I carried a bias against people with tattoos.
I’m unsure of the root of my bias. Perhaps I bought into the common stereotype that those with tattoos were criminals or belong to gangs. Or that those with tattoos like pain, live unconventional lives or seek attention. A lower back tattoo has the unfortunate bias of a “tramp stamp.”
I used to say I would never get a tattoo, both because of my bias, but also because of my dislike of needles and knowing people who got a tattoo on a whim and came to regret it.
While human civilization has a mixed view of tattoos, the practice of tattooing dates back to at least the fourth millennium BC. Some are tribal and serve as a rite of passage. Sailors often got a tattoo to signify their first crossing of the equator. And World War II found tattoos used in one of the worst ways possible- to identify people held prisoner at the Auschwitz concentration camp.
I met someone with many visible tattoos and confess she intimidated me at first.
Then I got to know her, and I found her to be one of the sweetest souls I have ever met. I learned the stories behind her tattoos and now consider her a dear friend.
So, I began to change my mind and accept tattoos as a form of art and self-expression. After losing my father, I found myself considering a tattoo as a memorial to him.
A friend of the family sent my mother a dragonfly charm and a lovely story with the message that any time you see a dragonfly, it is your loved one checking in with you. So I considered getting a dragonfly tattoo. But it did not feel right, or say anything to me about my father. I donated a toy last December to Ultimate Arts’ Tats 4 Tots, which gave me a gift certificate toward a tattoo. And I finally found the inspiration for a memorial to my father in his photographs. He loved visiting Maroon Bells in Colorado and photographed them in every season. And he signed one of his photos when he framed it.
The staff at Ultimate Arts, after reviewing my idea for a tattoo, suggested Jim as the tattoo artist who could make my vision a reality.
While the tattoo would be bigger than I first expected, I chose my left shoulder as the canvas for it. Not only was it above my heart, but I cherish the memory of Dad’s hand on my shoulder as he taught me to ride a bike.
My tattoo session took nearly four hours, and while it was uncomfortable, it was not unbearable. The result turned out even more beautiful than I expected, rich in detail. While it is not always visible to others, I know it is there.
Unfortunately, some may judge me for the tattoo. Justin Douglas, who used to serve as the pastor of Living Hope Community Church in Fox Lake recently wrote an amazing blog post, “You Know God Hates Tattoos, Right?” that can be found on his web page and does a far better job than I could do of confronting the issue of that judgment.
We all have biases, find ourselves falling back on stereotypes and hold on to prejudices.
But we can be better.
We can do better.
We can question ourselves about why we fear differences, and hopefully change our minds and open our hearts. H. Jackson Brown wrote, “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something.”
I hope we can seek that which connects us to others and learn to embrace differences, not fear them.


Online:

To read Justin Douglas' blog post, “You Know God Hates Tattoos Right?!” visit:

No comments: