Monday, December 16, 2019

Help to make the season bright


Originally published December 17, 2016

Help to make the season bright

Activities last week helped me find my holiday spirit.
I volunteer as a shopper for the Gertrude Christian Children’s Trust Fund. Established in 1977 in memory of a Randolph woman who died in 1974, the fund helps buy gifts for Randolph children ages 13 and under.
Guidelines set up for the fund only allow the interest it accrues to be used to buy a toy or two and an article of essential clothing. The fund was set up with nearly $30,000, which earned more than $2,000 when interest rates were high. Current lower interest rates mean the fund needs donations to help keep it going. A generous donation of toys this year helped provide gifts for 55 children to open on Christmas.
I may need to pursue a career as a personal shopper as I excel at spending money. The lovely Leann Rahn, the deputy clerk/treasurer in Randolph, recruited me several years ago to help with the program, along with Jackie Hein, who took over as the Randolph Police Department secretary when Leann transferred to the village office. Along with Leann’s husband Dan, we set out to shop – each armed with a list of children’s names, their clothing sizes and a few suggestions on hobbies or toys and a budget.
Since my son will soon be 21, and long ago outgrew toys (and my excuse to buy them), I adore exploring the toy aisles and trying to find just the right gift for each child, and then scouring the clothing department to find something for the child to wear.
Last Saturday, I started my day by covering the Dodge County Shop with Cops program. I delighted in following law enforcement officers through the Beaver Dam Walmart as they helped children pick out gifts for their family. It’s an amazing opportunity for kids to meet police officers while learning the lesson that the best gift of all is to give.
Saturday afternoon saw me in Randolph, helping the Randolph Chamber of Commerce put on its annual Santa’s Workshop program. I get to serve as Santa’s helper during the event, made possible through funds by the chamber, volunteers and people who donate baked goods and more. Marsh View Veterinary Clinic donates the supplies and staff to run a craft-making table that children enjoy.
The volunteers included Ellie Jung, Jamie Minnema, Wendi Dykstra, Betty Eisenga and Pam Drzonek.
Suzanne Wendt brought three young helpers along with her. Four high school students: Ashley Walther, Morgan Paul, Alydia Vanderhei and Jessica Bahr volunteered, too. It was fun watching them interact with the children enjoying Santa’s Workshop.
Hutchinson Memorial Library director Peggy Potter buys books, thanks to a generous donor, and the books are raffled off during Santa’s Workshop. As an avid reader, I adored watching children win books. I hope all who helped make Santa’s Workshop possible know how very much their time and donations are appreciated. A very special thanks to Santa Claus, who made every child feel welcome- even those who weren’t so sure about the bearded man in a red suit.
My sincerest apologies if I forgot a volunteer who helped out that day. It flew by in a whirlwind.
The cookies, flyers and décor for Santa’s Workshop were once again made possible by Rita Hookstead. This year, the First Reformed Church in Randolph will host the eighth annual Christmas Day meal. While Rita will deflect any praise for the program to those who donate and volunteer as servers, delivery drivers or greeters, the meal would not be possible without her dynamic organizational skills and the giving heart of her and her family. I find it a blessing and a privilege to call her a friend.
Original story

No comments: