Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Behind the lens


My October 1, 2005 column...


One thing I love about my job is that taking so many pictures each week has improved my photography skills.
I bought my first camera, decimating my childhood savings account, in 1983. I bought it at a camera shop in Chicago while my family was visiting relatives there as we made the move from the Upper Peninsula to Colorado. Photography was a hobby of my father’s that he turned into an art, and I wanted to be just like Dad. I documented each leg of that trip using my new camera, taking photos of the friends and family we visited as we traveled to our new home.
That camera was a Yashika, with auto-focus and a built-in flash. With it I took pictures of my family and places I visited. I have pictures of Yosemite National Park and the Grand Canyon. The Yashika now belongs to my son.
My second camera was another point and shoot, it was dropped about a year after I got it, and it never worked right after that. I’ve only ever used point and shoot cameras. I’ve never taken the time to learn to use cameras that have F-stop settings or that require me to do the focusing.
I started using digital cameras while working as a tech writer for John Deere, documenting steps in how to install something. My first camera at this job was a beast that ate up the juice in rechargeable batteries.
When I got ready for the trip to Colorado with my sister this summer, I finally bought my own digital camera. I love it.
Since I want to learn more about how to take a good photo, I asked to borrow some of my dad’s books on the subject. As he dug some out for me, he paid me a lovely compliment.
“You take better people pictures than I do,” he said.
What have I learned so far about taking a better picture?
If you are taking pictures of kids, get down to their level. Kneel, crouch, or lay down rather than shooting down at them.
Natural light is best, and overcast days offer the ideal lighting for photographs. Don’t only use the flash for indoor photography. Use the flash outside too.
Read the camera manual. I’m not saying that just as a former technical writer. Cameras today have a lot of great settings that can help you take better pictures. Experiment with them.
If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that they hated getting their picture taken, or that they will break my camera, I’d be rolling in the dough. Remember that I don’t like getting my picture taken either, and I’m willing to shoot a few until we have one you like.
With group photos, it is hard to avoid what looks like a line-up of the usual suspects. I always welcome suggestions for how to take a more interesting picture.
When taking pictures of people, get close. Photograph them from the waist up, or just the head and shoulders. Make sure you’re not cropping off the top of their head and that the background is neutral. You don’t want it to look like a tree limb or wire is sprouting from their heads.
Four years ago, I attended a technical writing conference, and the keynote speaker was a well-known National Geographic photographer.
He talked about where his job had taken him and how much film he used to get that one perfect shot. While he spoke, a slide show of his work played behind him. His advice was to be patient and keep clicking away.
On the job, I always take the camera with me. I’m starting to carry a camera around with me on my own time. I’d much rather try and fail to take a good picture than not be able to take one at all.



2019 update - Working as a technical writer again, and taking my own photos for manuals. Sometimes with a camera, often with my phone. I have my father's digital camera, and use it for special events. I prepped it last month, hoping to use it for photos of the Northern Lights. Turns out I could not stay up late enough to take photographs. 

No comments: