Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Delayed humble brag

My work earned several awards from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association's Better Newspaper Contest. The awards were announced on Feb. 24.
Citizen staff earns awards

My feature story, "Saving grace" earned a second place award.
Saving Grace

I submitted three Lifestyles issues: January 30-31, 2016; March 12-13, 2016; and July 9-10, 2016. I serve as the features editor, and Lifestyles has been my responsibility since 2009, so it was lovely to see the section earn second place. I can't share the full issues here, but can include links to stories and columns that ran in those issues.
Capturing the light
Bicycle tour helps tell a story

Please pick up after pets

Early childhood educators offer advice
School offers childcare
Athlete serves as inspiration

I submitted these three columns, which received third place:
Five years gone by
Great educators inspire students
Make a reading resolution


 For the first 10 years on the job, I did not submit entries to the contest because I am my own worst critic. While the best feedback for my work is a response from the subject of the story, other journalists serve as the judges for the contest, and it feels good to be recognized by my peers. 

No comments: