Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 - My Year in Reading

I read 214 books in 2014. Some of those were written for children or teens, or are novellas or short stories, and there was one graphic novel.
At the start of 214, I had 426 books on my Goodreads.com “To Read” list. Now that number is 579. If a vampire offers to “turn” me, I might consider an immortal life if only to have enough time for all the books I want to read. I kept my re-read book numbers down again, and most of the re-reads were in preparation for new books (or a TV show) coming out in 2014.  
I already have three books in progress that I did not finish in 2014. 

By the Numbers:

Total Books Read: 214 (Eight of those are short stories/novellas and two are anthologies)
Books I read again for the second (or third or more time):  12
Young Adult/Juvenile Fiction: 28
Romance:   96 (+7 YA)
Mystery:   26 (+4 YA)
Nonfiction:   10
Memoirs: 8 (technically, this falls under NF, but this is more than normal.)
Paranormal, Horror, Sci/Fi, Fantasy: 18 (+8 YA)
Series books:  142
Novellas/Short stories: 10

The authors I read the most in 2014 include Anne Gracie (10), Loretta Chase (9), Diana Gabaldon, (7, but five were re-reads), Tessa Dare (7), Kate Noble (6), John Sandford (5).

Here are my favorite books from 2014, by category.

 Young Adult

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
A young woman with a strict and distant mother falls in love with the boy next door and his family and has to make a touch choice when tragedy strikes.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
The first book is written from the point of view of a young woman after a car accident, as her spirit lingers in the hospital as doctors and nurses try to save her life. It is now a movie too. As soon as my son heads back to college, I plan a movie marathon with this and “The Fault in Our Stars.”

Non-fiction/Memoirs

Letters by Kurt Vonnegut
An intimate look at the life of Kurt Vonnegut through his correspondence.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Funny. I love her TV show, “The Mindy Project,” and this book just solidifies my desire to have Mindy in my circle of friends.

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran
I want to be besties with Caitlin. LOVED this book.

Mystery

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths, the first in her Ruth Galloway mystery series. Ruth is an archaeologist called in when old bones are discovered. Set in Great Britain, and Ruth has a unique voice.

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley, the latest in his Flavia de Luce series.
Flavia is a young British girl with a passion for solving mysteries and a genius in chemistry. Find the first book in the series, and catch up with this story that brings Flavia a mystery very close to home. 

Romance

Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover by Sarah MacLean
The conclusion of a four part series set a gambling den in London. The main character first appeared in MacLean’s “Love by Numbers” trilogy. I don’t want to say too much about it, as it would give away the amazing secret MacLean kept from readers about the character’s identity.

Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
I read this on the recommendation of Sarah MacLean in the FB group she created paying homage to old school romance novels. It’s a great reading group. I loved this book. Then I began tearing through the back catalog of Chase books.

With This Ring by Celeste Bradley, book three in her Worthington Family series
Bradley does such an amazing job of building characters you wish you could meet and turning them loose in stories with great pacing and dialogue that make them nearly impossible to put down.


Other

 Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch, the first in his Peter Grant series. 
I read it on the recommendation of one of my favorite romance authors, Celeste Bradley. If you like an author, follow them on Facebook, Twitter or their web page and keep your eye out for book recommendations. If you like what they write, you will like what they read.

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson 
I really like Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie series. This book is quite different. The best description I can come up with for it is that it reminds me of a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book, where the main character keeps dying and being reborn, with small changes or choices taking her life in a new direction.

Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon
The latest in her Outlander series, which is now a TV show that makes me miss having cable. Most of my re-reads this year were to prep to watch the first episode (Starz let viewers watch it for free.)

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
This book weighs down your soul, the story of two little girls who disappear and what happens to their families as a frantic search for them ensues.

The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman
Set in NYC around the time of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire. Brilliant and weird and riveting.

 
Other suggested reading

The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway,  a debut author with a story about a time traveler.
Five Days Left by Julia Timmer Lawson

If you like romance, try Tessa Dare or Kate Noble. Also, if you like an author, try following them on Facebook, Twitter or bookmark their website and be on the lookout for reading recommendations. If you like what they like, you'll love what they read. 

To take a look at all the books I read in 2014, click here:


No comments: